Wes and I have a few traditions for just the two of us and we have several that we do with our families...
- We take our 4-wheelers out to the farm and go on a search for the perfect cedar tree to cut down (we have done this 2 of the 3 years we have been married...last year we bought one). This is usually done the Sunday after Thanksgiving
- I decorate the house (everything besides the tree) the Friday after Thanksgiving and then I decorate the tree Sunday afternoon
- We always watch Christmas Vacation the night we decorate the tree. At some point in December we will watch Elf and a few other movies too.
- We wake up super early on Christmas Day and exchange our presents and stockings. It is really nice to do this just us without everyone else. I love it.
- We have Christmas Eve supper at my parents house. It is just me, Wes, parents, Jodi and Mema. We have oyster stew with brownie pie and ice cream for dessert. Not sure how that tradition started..but it isn't Christmas until I have that! (I just eat the stew part and she puts sausage in it...I do not eat the oysters!)
- After supper, Jodi and I go to the living room and arrange the presents by where people sit and then it is time to open them. Growing up Dad hated when everyone opens presents at one time because it is chaotic and always miss something. So we start the youngest to the oldest opening one gift at a time. I am always the youngest (until someone has babies) so it is nice! It also last more than 5 minutes.
- We switch out with his family and my family for Christmas Day dinner. We either go to Mema's for lunch or his mom's
- His family Christmas really varies every year. It really depends on what everyone's schedule is like. But the past three years we wake up really early and head over to his parents house to open presents. It is great because we are there when Wyatt see's his gifts from Santa!
- After presents, we will have yummy breakfast...usually monkey bread!
- Like I said earlier, we rotate Christmas Day lunch. We either have lunch or supper at his parents, depending on when we all can be together.
- His family usually has another Christmas get together with the Harling's (his mom's side of the family) but that is a different date each year.
- We always spend the majority of Christmas Day at his parents. So fun seeing Wyatt on Christmas :)