Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Bye Bye Pump....Hello Whole Milk!

Grab button for Busy Bee 
The entire time I was pregnant, I knew I wanted to breastfeed...or at least try it out.  Paige and I learned how to do the process very easily and I was thankful for that but I just wasn't making enough milk to satisfy her, so I decided to pump and bottle feed her so I could supplement the milk with formula.  Honestly, I was a little glad.  I know nursing is supposed to be the most natural thing a woman can do besides have a baby..but for some reason I just didn't like it!  And you know what...I bonded with my baby over a bottle!  So I would fix her bottle and feed Paige and then I would pump.  It worked out nicely.  I knew exactly how much she ate and was able to make sure it was enough!  She was still getting my milk and I didn't have to be the only one that feed her, but I usually was!

Each month, I kept thinking, I would love to pump until she is off formula for good but I just don't know if I will make enough milk to make it worth it.  For months, I carried my pump to work, in the car, everywhere so that I could pump the same time she ate to make sure my milk would keep up.  I am proud to say that I pumped for 12 whole months!  I think Wes and I only had to buy 6 things of formula over the entire year.  Not only did Paige get breast milk but we saved so much money too!

I started giving up pumping a couple weeks ago but only pumping at night and the morning, then only in the morning until I was only getting a couple ounces and then stopped all together.  I know I could have just quit cold turkey but I didn't feel like hurting all day.  So I decided to do it gradually.  
It is weired to think that I haven't pumped in a few days and it is kind of nice.  I have all this free time now!  Looking back, I wouldn't change a thing though.  Yes, it took a lot of time, it had an annoying sound and well, it just wasn't fun but in my eyes it was all worth it.

So here's to whole milk and no more pumps!!

No comments :

Post a Comment